Re: [NTLK] Does NewtSync work with OS X Tiger? (long, sorry...)

From: Sonya Hipper (sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 11:15:05 PDT

Further research on iCal 2.0-generated calendars turned up some
interesting tidbits. I had actually stopped using nSync for iCal
syncing some time ago in favor of Eckhart's IC/VC software. I had
just set up my machine as a web server, and pointed IC/VC to go to
that ~/Library/Calendars folder for my personal calendar, which has
worked fine for several months now.
Well, obviously the file structure change broke that. So, I tried
downloading the one posted to my .Mac account...and it would download
but not put away properly. The only way I got it to put away was by
exporting the calendar in its entirety directly out of iCal, drop it
into my old folder (this was for convenience...no technical reason),
and go...

It looks like the exported .ics file includes standard iCalendar
headers defining various parameters (including the Calendar
name...see below) while the "native" one doesn't, relying instead on
the Info.plist file to provide the calendar name.

I've included the "header" info (before it goes into Event data) from
each version of the file below to illustrate the differences.

-Sonya

The current .ics file generated by iCal, buried deep in that
impenetrably obscure folder structure starts like this:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
PRODID:-//Apple Computer\, Inc//iCal 2.0//EN
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
[and then goes right into event listings...]

The exported calendar starts like this:
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:Sonya
PRODID:-//Apple Computer\, Inc//iCal 2.0//EN
X-WR-RELCALID:3DECCE4C-F10E-4813-A194-4BE51DED5F1D
X-WR-TIMEZONE:US/Pacific
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:US/Pacific
LAST-MODIFIED:20050516T174104Z
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:20040404T100000
TZOFFSETTO:-0700
TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
TZNAME:PDT
END:DAYLIGHT
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:20041031T020000
TZOFFSETTO:-0800
TZOFFSETFROM:-0700
TZNAME:PST
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:20050403T010000
TZOFFSETTO:-0700
TZOFFSETFROM:-0800
TZNAME:PDT
END:DAYLIGHT
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:20051030T020000
TZOFFSETTO:-0800
TZOFFSETFROM:-0700
TZNAME:PST
END:STANDARD
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
[Begin Events data...]

==
     "I urge you all today, especially today during these
times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations
and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into
leather. And then, by all means, use restraints."
                                                 —Margaret Cho

Sonya Hipper
sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net
AIM: SonyaLynn