Re: [NTLK] Replacement touchscreen & backlight

From: Zoont Foomby (zoontf_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 06:02:15 PDT

I bought a replacement backlight on eBay, but in hindsight, would
rather have bought a brand-new one (instead of a replacement slightly
used one) from http://www.backlight4you.com/en/products/el/kit_apple.htm
as the replacement I got isn't terribly bright (much brighter than the
one I had, but still), and there is no good way to tell if a used
backlight purchased online is going to be full strength or not. At
least with the place in Germany you know it is new.

Replacement was only challenging in that I didn't have any solder or
electrical tape. I re-used the solder from the old backlight and used
scotch tape. Seriously jury-rigged. But it works. Since it sounds like
you are more friendly with your solder iron than I, the backlight
replacement shouldn't be a problem, as long as you follow the well
linked to dissassembly directions by that Frank guy.

I haven't replaced the screen on mine, but considering that you pretty
much take the screen entirely off when replacing the backlight, the
two tasks compliment each other.

On 5/12/05, Ola <ola_at_mikrogroove.com> wrote:
>=20
> Does anyone here have experinece in replacing the touchscreen and EL back=
light? Yesterday I went back to the shop where I bought my MP2K a week ago =
to see if they might have the missing serial adapter or other accessories. =
They didn't have the adapter but they did have a SECOND MP2K. I couldn't re=
sist and am now the happy owner of two MP2Ks!
>=20
> However, the second unit has seen a lot more use and the backlight has gr=
own pretty dim compared to the first one I bought. Also, the touchscreen ha=
s got some nasty spots on it, it looks almost as if the different layers of=
 the touch membrane have begun to separate slightly. At first I thought may=
be it had a screen protector and that air bubbles had been trapped undernea=
th this but alas, no screen protector...
>=20
> So, I'd like to know where I can get hold of 1) a new touchscreen and 2) =
a new EL backlight?
>=20
> Also:
>=20
> My WiFi card should arrive tomorrow and I have decided to solve the drive=
r installation issue by soldering in a female mini DIN connector directly o=
n the mainboard (http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/minidin.htm) Has anyon=
e here had success with such an operation? Would this give me a proper RS-2=
32 port including all voltages/functions?
>=20
> Many thanks,
>=20
> Ola