[NTLK] Newbie GPS help?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 23:37:26 PDT

> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 21:43:24 +0100 (BST)
> From: Myles Roberts <myles.roberts_at_talk21.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] Newbie GPS help?
>
> I would dearly love to get my 2100 working as a GPS
> receiver, can anyone help me by suggesting what
> equipment I am going to need to get it all going?

Check http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSOnNewton . Some
folks invested a lot of time compiling some available information
there.

If you're not familiar with the Newton Wiki (well, any Newtonian should
be!), then first you'll have to know that you can add stuff to any page
there, ad secondly, that this is much encouraged. The way I see it,
Newbies are the perfect Wiki-authors, because they don't take stuff for
granted or already know to much to have real obstacles in doing things.

Just write down (well, copy & paste) all you learn about GPS (maybe
from replies here, from searches in NTLK archive, from manuals...) and
add that to the Wiki, maybe even with a step by step-description of how
you'd gotten that stuff to work. You can be sure that the next Newbie
(or even Nwton oldtimer who wants to try something new) will love you.
Or whatever.

> I understand that I need a PCMCIA GPS revceiver using
> NMEA(whatever that may be)

It's a standadized sets of position transmissions that a GPS
antenna/receiver ("talker") will send to a recipient/host/your
Newton/your desktop computer ("listener").
The two most important Newton GPS Maps both speak NMEA 183, so if your
GPS device speaks that, too, and can by physically connected, you're
all set up!

I'm going to use a GPS mouse on my MP2100 with special NewtNav adapter
by Adriano Angelillis, which allows the receiver to be connected to IC
port via IC dongle or to SER-001. When GPS Map starts, the receiver
gets powered from the Newton -- no external power source required!
Simply beautiful. Now if I'd only get that dratted receiver to obey my
will.....!

Note that GPS handhelds (e.g. Garmin) can also be used as GPS
antenna... While their power consumption is greater than that of a GPS
mouse-style receiver, they can also be used independently of your
Newton (and configured w/o desktop computer or Init strings from
listener). Supposedly cheap on Ebay.

Also it's important to know that most talkers send too many different
data sentences to the listener for the Newton's GPS apps to properly
process them. Plus these are sent at too short intervalls.
I have this situation with my talker now, and I have yet to find the
Init string that'll make him less yabby... When buying a GPS device
(mouse, PCMCIA/CF Card, handheld), be sure to check that there is a way
to connect to your desktop computer, too (e.g. cables and adapters
needed) and that the manufacturer or some third party provides you with
software with which you can configure your receiver. -- Alternatively
you can configure via Init strings in GPS Map, but I haven't been
successful, yet.

> and GPS map apart from that
> I am a bit lost in how it all will work.

See the Wiki. The Wiki is your friend.
Search the archive. If you have specific question, post here. Be sure
to feed new-won knowledge back to the Wiki, give something back to the
community.

> Will I be able to use it as a route planner?

Yes and no. GPS Map allows setting up to 100 (or was it 99?) waypoints
for a route, and it will guide you from waypoint to waypoint. This is
good for cross-country hikes, flying (it was developed for people who
fly gliders), sailing, general orientation.

You won't be able to use it as a route planning tool in the sense "Take
me to grandma's house on ABC Street" and it will plot a course along
all the streets and highways between yourself and granny's. Sorry, but
it's a "moving map" navigation system, not a route planning system.

You can approximate this by using an online route planner before your
trip and setting up a route in GPS Map with the appropriate waypoints.
But it won't beep at you or tell you to turn left or turn back or stuff
(though I would love to have a configurable 3-stage-proximity alert for
closing in to the waypoints... And export/import functions for route
and mission-data... But who will write that into the app?).

> is GPS map the best app?

If you are in the US or Canada, you may also be well served by TeleType
GPS, which has LOADS of positional data of roads, towns, etc., for
North America.

> are there lots of maps available for GPS apps?

Not too many... I've posted a request here at NTLK a couple days ago to
send me all maps that can be publicly shared to add them to the Library
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSOnNewton , but the
response has been not too overwhelming. There is some stuff for GPS
Map, and what you have on UNNA is what we have for TeleType GPS (I wish
we had European data for that! Anybody ever heard if they used to have
this at all?).

But for GPS Map you can make your own maps. Construction kit available
at UNNA and the Library. The Wiki links to a tutorial, and there is one
in progress on the Wiki, too.

> Basically I would like to be able to input an address
> (or at least a lon/lat reference and have my newt
> guide me there.

Yes, this it will do, but not zigzag along the fastest or shortest road
route or stuff like that. It will take you there as the crow flies, or
via any waypoints you'd entered before starting.

> Any help would be most useful,

You got some now. Come back if you need more. Oh, and if you find any
Init strings for Sirf II or NMEA that aren't up at the Wiki yet, mail
'em to me, I have Init string trouble...

> I have only just
> started looking into messing around with my newt and
> really want to see what it can do (I like the idea of
> using it as a TV remote, thats just mad!!)

Would be great if you could run up a wiki page on that topic and write
down exact step-by-step instructions (Moron's Manual), that even
braindead folks would understand and have success with... This topic
come up once in a while, but there is no comprehensive FAQ and manual
available yet, AFAIK.

Good luck,

'Kasko