[NTLK] Zaurus is Available

From: Matthew Binkowski (matt_at_mattbinkowski.com)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 07:25:37 PDT

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS5552772338.html
is this the contender for einstein?

"A high-end Linux-based Sharp Zaurus PDA thought to be discontinued in
the US is actually available from two sources. The SL-6000L is
available in quantity from 10East, a seller of vertical market systems
for the railroad industry, and in single quantities from online
retailer SDG Systems.

10East sells railroad operations software written in Python that runs
on the Familiar Linux distribution for PDAs. According to VP of
operations Mike Wilson, 10East was able to move its supply channel
directly to Sharp Japan after Sharp USA stopped marketing the SL-6000L
in the US. "We have a manufacturing relationship with Sharp Japan.
Sharp Japan builds them for us, and we resell to our customers.
However, we usually have enough inventory to sell to others," Wilson
said.

According to Wilson, 10East currently has about 1,500 SL-6000Ls in
stock, of which 300 and 400 are currently unallocated. It orders about
300 each month, in order to keep reserve stocks on hand.

The SL-6000L was originally marketed as an enterprise PDA featuring
GSM/GPRS remote connectivity to IBM Websphere enterprise applications.
Although Sharp no longer actively markets the SL-6000L in the US, a
Sharp USA spokesperson told LinuxDevices.com in November of 2004 that
Sharp would continue to make the device available to enterprise
customers "as long as their needs dictate."

Prior to becoming scarce in the US, the SL-6000L received rave reviews.

Availability

The SL-6000L is available in single quantities, priced at $785, from an
online store maintained by SDG Systems. SDG Systems is a small systems
development house that is working with 10East to port Linux to several
PDAs that normally run Windows, including the heavily ruggedized TDS
"Recon" PDA and the HP/Compaq iPAQ 4705. SDG Systems also offers the
SL-6000L through Amazon.com, albeit at a higher price.

Volume customers may wish to contact 10East directly, although Wilson
notes that only orders beyond several thousand are likely to give
10East any leverage with Sharp Japan on volume discounts."

-matt binkowski