[NTLK] NewtAC available

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 11:42:17 PDT

  Hi,
below is a link to the last Newton hardware piece i made
http://homepage.mac.com/adriano.angelillis/PhotoAlbum12.html

Thanks in advance for spending a bit of your time on reading my report
around its functions:

NewtAC is an adapter which connects to the AC input port of a MP2k,
MP1x0 or eMate,
and give the ability to power your MessagePad using whatever usb
current source available on the market.

It present a Newton AC plug on a side and a usb male plug on the
opposite. Connecting the usb plug to any computer usb port, powered usb
hub, usb battery pack, usb car/wall charger or whatever you prefer, it
is possible to power all the functions of the MessagePad mainboard.

The MessagePad will automatically detect the NewtAC when connected to a
usb charger, so will turn-on.

Any battery testing software will not report any charging current
forwarded to your internal cells:
this is a valuable thing about using the NewtAC, cause it will preserve
the charge of the Newton internal battery without having to put it out
(as the Apple battery booster needed).

NewtAC, when connected to any standard usb charger, will let you supply
your MessagePad with 5Volts - 500mA.
The document to the link below describe the minimum characteristics of
a Newton charger:
http://www.cat2.com/newton/Newton-FAQ/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB7

As an answer to the most of you who reading this report would prefer to
receive news about a Newton portable battery recharger, i can say that
with an 'appropriate' usb current supply it's possible to (slowly)
re-charge the internal batteries,
as tests made with a usb wall charger rated at 5Volts - 1Ampere
reported succesfully (charged at 45mA.....).
[Please note that behind the word 'appropriate' (as above) there's a
dedicated hard drive full of messages spent around the argument on
NTLK, so please do not take my succesful test as a proof of full
reliability]

NewtAC it's not the first usb recharger ever made for the MessagePad,
instead it's just a cheap product which could support some your needs
using the usb accessories you already have or the cheapest you could
find on the market. An example? Take a look to the link:
http://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=12994

Hope you would gently share with me your impressions about the NewtAC,
any comment about it will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for your interest,

Adriano Angelillis

Post Scriptum:
the website photos show the NewtAC at prototype state. I preferred to
make it having the chance to keep the usb-b.pack beneath the MP2100 and
having a short cable have resulted more confortable to me. The for-sale
items will have a more long cable instead. If any of the NTLK users
interested on buying a NewtAC would want to have it at a personally
fixed cable lenght, just drop me a line, cause i will be happy to
accomplish any request.

homepage: http://homepage.mac.com/adriano.angelillis/