Re: [NTLK] Emate Wireless Not connecting

From: Sean Cross (smcross_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 23:04:59 PST

On Mar 31, 2005 10:02 PM, Joel Travis Pigdon
<jtpigdon_at_students.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi all, thanks for this great list.
> I recently recieved an eMate 300 in excellent condition to add to the =
> collection of newtons, I really love the form factor of the eMate, =
> Anyway I am trying to duplicate the setup I have on my MP2100 in terms =
> of wireless, I went through the wiki and installed all the relevant NIE =
> packages and wireless packages. I set it up exactly as it was on my 2100 =
> but when I go to connect it cannot communicate with the DHCP server on =
> my wireless router. I cannot see what the difference in software could =
> be. I take the card out of the 2100 where it connects and put it in the =
> eMate where it fails to connect. I cannot see what could be the issue
> if anyone has any ideas please post them, I am out of ideas
> Thanks
> Joel Pigdon
> Melbourne

One of the strange problems I was having with wireless involved not the
device used (either 2100 or eMate, didn't make a difference), but rather
was the wireless card in question. I have two cards, both Lucent
WaveLan Silver, both are 16-bit cardbus, and both funciton just fine in
laptops. For some reason, sometimes when I set one up for DHCP, the
lights would just blink on and off before the Newt finally gave up trying.
Inserting the other card I have into the same device produced the desired
results. Sometimes, setting NIE to use a static address allowed the
other card to function, but not always.

You mentioned multiple Newts. Do all of your wireless cards produce
the same results in your eMate?