Re: [NTLK] Cults and other fun topics

From: John Stairs (stairsj_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 18:08:55 PST

Well, I guess I will have to come clean about all my technology and
cultist past..(Not a real cultist by no means, just pegged that way by
some in the media.)

I built my first computer ( 1979?) from a kit I ordered on a back of a
magazine, the Timex Sinclair. I didn't have it very long probably
because I built it.
Next, I purchased a Commodore 64, Ahh! The games I played on that
thing! (Remember "Impossible Mission"?)
I learned programming, phreaking and hacking on that little machine.
I moved from there to the Amiga 500 because I wanted to stay in the
Commodore fold. As a side note, the first Apple computer was pitched
to Commodore, but they turned down Woz and Jobs to push their own
project the Commodore PET.
The weird thing about the Amiga was that it was designed by the man
responsible for the Atari 800 among other Atari projects and its main
competition was the Atari ST which was brought in to being by Jack
Tramiel (sp?) who was Commodores former CEO.
The Amiga was a special computer, far ahead of its time (much like the
Newton).
I was making movies, music and art on it long before the mac had color
screens.
I stuck with the Amiga through I think three bankruptcies and various
potential saviors. My A1200 occupies a distinguished place on my desk
even now.
So in 2000/2001 I felt I really needed to get an updated computer, it
was a necessity due to work and school concerns. My brother always had
Windows PCs, so I was use to using them and fixing them, especially the
fixing part, but I just couldn't bring myself to use a Windows PC as
"MY personal computer". Mainly because they just don't have a
personality... they don't seem to become one with you like so many of
my other computers.
  I finally decided to purchase an iMac DV and fell in love with
platform. Since then I have continued to update my Macs on a regular
basis. My latest being the All-in-One iMac G5. I really hated to get
rid of my "gooseneck" iMac as it was as sleek and novel a computer as
I've ever seen, but it became too slow to do the things needed of it.

Sorry for the long message

On Mar 31, 2005, at 5:39 PM, John Royston wrote:

> I drank it but have no fear being a faithful commodore cultist I am
> immune to such modern nonsence. I still play Sid Meiers PIRATES! on a
> commodore 64 while drinking large amounts of KOOL-AID:)

John Stairs

stairsj_at_mac.com

...nothing is more painful than regret...
...NO FEAR!