Re: [NTLK] Keyboards: What is the difference between ASCII and Scan mode

From: Joost van de Griek (jvdg_at_jvdg.com)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 04:08:00 PST

On 2005-03-23 19:12, Frank Gruendel wrote:

> Yes, this is Newton-related. Wait and see. Could some kind soul please
> enlighten me on what is the difference between scan mode and ASCII mode as far
> as keyboards are concerned? It seems that as of OS 2.0 the Newtons can handle
> scan mode, earlier models can only handly ASCII mode.

A scan mode keyboard tells the device what key was pressed, after which the
device has to figure out how it will react to that key. In other words, the
key mapping is in the device.

An ASCII mode keyboard is more intelligent, but less flexible: it simply
tells the device what character key was pressed. In this case, the key
mapping is in the keyboard.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
Be sure not to program a "Kill Everyone in the Room" option into it.
Far too many people make that mistake when programming their robots.