Re: [NTLK] HWR Problem (Jaggies?)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 13:01:49 PST

The jaggies are evidenced by the digital ink not
tracking with the stylus in a pseudo-random manner.
The way this manifests its self is that you can be
writing on the screen, happy as you please, then in
the middle of forming a letter, and without you
removing the stylus from the screen, the digital ink
will suddenly and disasterously jump to some other
random part of the screen and continue doing this
until what you wrote resembles the jagged tracing of
electrical arcs in a Van-Degraff machine. Needless to
say, the resulting digital ink is unrecognizable by
you or the recognizer software.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Don V. Zahniser" <irntooth_at_eznet.net> wrote:
> Hi, All -
>
> This morning, my MP2100 started displaying a weird
> symptom. As I write
> with the stylus, after a few characters or words,
> the text I have written
> is replaced by 'blots' similar in shape to the word
> that I have written,
> and then the word reappears in the expected font.
> It appears to coincide
> to when the HWR engine interprets what I have
> written. Sometimes it
> happens between words, sometimes in the middle of a
> word. I noticed that
> if I had dropped to a new line before it hits, only
> the text on the new
> line is affected. The previous line is interpreted
> normally, with no
> 'blot'. Disconcerting, to say the least.
>
> Is this what has been referred to as 'Jaggies'? What
> I have read on the
> subject isn't very descriptive of the actual
> symptoms.
>
> Any suggestions or resources for me to check out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Don
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial