Re: [NTLK] Adaptor for eMate

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 09:29:15 PST

> Ive put 12V into my newtons a few times,
> and they just switch off right away, and
> they seem quite happy with an input of
> upto 9V, and they charge adarn sight
> quicker too.

I've put new capacitors, transistors and fuses into
the Newtons of people who did this a few times.

Believe me, an exploded electrolytic capacitor's
smell isn't exactly pleasing, and its residue is
a pain to remove from a densely populated main
logic board. Which you need to do to unearth the
transistors that might or might not have accompanied
their good ol' pals the capacitors into nirwana.

In 100% of these cases F1 was blown. This is a
fuse that we do not have the specification
for. Once I am out of F1s from boards that currently
act as organ donators, I will no longer be able to
fix Newtons in a way that ensures they remain within
their electrical specification afterwards.

The cost of shipping a Newton thusly fried to my
workbench from outside Europe and back is probably
about 2-3 times the cost of an original adapter...

Last not least, be aware that some electronic
components have the memory of an elephant. They often
decide to not show their displeasure immediately.
Instead, they bear a grudge against yourself in general
and AC adapters in particular until one day, usually
when it is least convenient, they finally decide to
take their revenge on you.

Frank