Re: [NTLK] NIE setup on 2100 for new user without dongle

From: E. Smith (eirens_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 19:50:52 PST

Thanks, Woody. But can't I establish a (slow) serial connection via
IrDA too? If so, anyone know how? (so I can transfer binaries to the
Newton via IrDA)

-e.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:38:37 -0600, Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> You will need some way of connecting your 2100 to one of your PCs. A
> serial connection will allow you to install applications as well as
> back up your Newton. you will need NCU on your slowest PC and either a
> Newton Interconnect Port to serial cable or a dongle and mac to pc
> serial cable.
> Have a look at
> < http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonNewbieGuide>
>
> Woody
>

> On Mar 20, 2005, at 8:52 PM, E. Smith wrote:
>
> > As of today, I'm a new MP 2100 user. The unit I picked up on eBay did
> > not come with a serial dongle nor any software.
> >
> > I'd like to setup internet access for my 2100 so I can:
> >
> > - Install other software from the web (transferred via FTP from
> > another computer on my LAN, if necessary)
> > - Browse the web
> > - Use email.
> >

> snip
>
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. What are my different options?
> > 2. Which option is the most direct (simplest)?
> >
> > If I have not provided enought data, I welcome your questions.
> >
> > Thanks for helping me.
> >
> > -eiren.
>
> --

"This natural or organic order emerges when there is perfect balance
between the needs of the individual parts of the environment, and the
needs of the whole. In an organic environment, every place is unique
and the different places also cooperate, with no parts left over, to
create a global whole--a whole which can be identified by everyone who
is a part of it." -- Christopher Alexander as quoted in Peopleware 2nd
ed., Tom DeMarco & Timothy Lister 1999