Re: [NTLK] reading Newton memory cards on a computer

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 15:48:50 PST

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:54:33 -0600, Thomas Isenbarger <isen_at_charter.net> wrote:
> I know this has been discussed before, but what is the status of being
> able to read a Newton memory card in the slot on my Powerbook? I know
> the memory formats are different, etc., but if I could read a card at a
> low level bit for bit, couldn't I then rewrite this out to another card
> of the same size?

Tom,

I'll apologize first for not being able to find a link to the thread in NTLK.

IIRC it was likely David or someone else mentioned where they work
they have the equipment and software to bit copy PCMCIA memory card.
The hardware & software IIRC also was a bit pricey $500 or $650 plus
from the link he gave.

> Was there a thread saying this can be done with some Linux app? How
> about through terminal?

Nope not from what I recall. I maybe wrong.

> What would be required to be able to copy packages from a card to a
> computer (this would be great for backups) and then from the computer
> to another card (not necessarily the same size)?

You need a software & hardware. A PCMCIA reader/writer - the one
mentioned was a Internal Card IIRC.
Yes

It was a Windows program mentioned ..... I searched high and low and
still couldn't fine the thread..

Hopefully someone ;) will chime in on this or a thread will be linked
for you to read...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung