Re: [NTLK] Future Apple PDA/ideal Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 09:38:43 PST

There is an inherrant problem with the "ultimate
phone"
In the United States there are just too many phone
systems that are incompatible. Yet each offers
something that the other doesn't.
For me, I use the Nextel system. I love the
Push-to-talk feature that other carriers just haven't
been able to duplicate (even though Verizon stole the
service from Nextel...long story)
The downside with my carrier is the lack of "modern"
phones.
So, if someone were to manufacture the
"perfect/ultimate phone", which service will they make
it for? CDMA? TDMA? GSM? Nextel? That cellular service
in Japan? And if they do make it for the American
market, which service will it be offered on? There
have to be at least 5 incompatible services...
And covering all services just isn't possible...there
will always be one or two left out. And then there's
the competition from the existing juggernauts of the
cellular industry...It would be a very risky move to
attempt to compete with the likes of Motorola and
Nokia...unless they liscense their "ultimate" idea to
one of the existing vendors...which we know Apple
certainly doesn't like doing.
Ed
web/gadget guru

http://homepage.mac.com/poberman/newton3/PhotoAlbum157.html

> You would have:
>
> Newton os
> phone, with speakerphone.
> a touchscreen, that could double as number pad or
> ipod style mp3 player
> storage on sd smart chips, up to 1 gig
> slide out keyboard
> 1x connectivity
> no bluetooth
> no bullshit low rez camera
>
> why can't they just pull off the bandaid and give us
> the perfect phone.
> no one seems to want to just do it. too many near
> misses.
>
> paul
<snip>

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial