Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Green Light Go for 03-08-05 Available

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 12:30:48 PST

Every file that ends with the extension .pkg should be
set to open with whatever Newton PKG loader you use.
The way you set this is to find a newton PKG (make
sure that it ends in .pkg....more on this later)
Right click on the file and select "Open With" and
"Choose program" at the bottom of that menu.
Scroll through the applications that appear and select
the Newton package application you use.
Check the box "Always use this program to open this
kind of file" and hit OK. If the applicaiton isn't in
that list, hit browse and find the location where you
installed it and do the same thing.

Now...

If you're viewing your files as icons only and you
don't see the extension for some files, then stop it
now...STOP IT I SAY! Stop it now! Bad user! Picking up
bad Mac habits like that!

Don't rely on the icon to tell you what kind of file
it is! This is how virus's and spyware sneak into your
computer! There is a checkbox titled "hide extension
for known files" that will only show you the file name
and the icon if the extension is one registered in
windows...but what this does is allows you to see a
file called "readme.txt.exe" as "readme.txt" You think
it's just a simple text file because you see the
extension...so you double-click on it! and viola! you
just ran an executable which probably just infected
your computer. But if you were viewing extensions, you
would see that it ended in .exe and not .txt, so you
would be somewhat wary...(I hope) All sorts of nasties
can get into your computer this way. Here is what you
do...it's a two step process.
Open explorer (right click on "My Computer" and select
"Explore")
From the "View" menu, select "Details". Now go to the
Tools menu and select "Folder Options". Click the tab
"View" and make sure that check box titled "Hide
Extensions for known file types" is UNCHECKED!!!. Now
here is the important part. Hit "Apply" then click on
the button titled "Apply to All Folders" in the upper
left section. then hit the OK button.
Feel free to click whatever other boxes you
want...just remember to hit apply (to apply the
settings to your current folder you are viewing) and
then apply to all folders...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Allan Ngaparu <angaparu_at_optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> How do you tell Windows Xp that you have a Newton
> Package???. One day I
> inadvertantly changed the look of my Newton icons
> in windows so that now
> some work and others produce the message this is not
> a Newton package and
> wont open them. I think I must have selected some
> other program to open them
> but now dont know how to go back. Some packages open
> and others dont???
>
> Allan Ngaparu
> Brisbane

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!