[NTLK] OT---Re: XP Question--Ignore if you must

From: Adamson_at_aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 07:06:47 PST

I am very thankful for all the suggestions I have received. What a great
list of folks reside here. I am still in the process of trying all the
suggestions. I may have isolated the problem to AOL. I uninstalled AOL,
reinstalled and still have the problem. When I try to launch AOL it says AOL needs to
load files in order to work and will require a restart. Then the same thing
happens again. I try to launch AOL get the same instruction box, reboot, and
here we go again. Somewhere I read that SP2, AOL, and Wireless networks
don't play together well. That may be true, but I have been using them all
together for well over a year, why would the problem start now? Just Fickle, I
guess. I have no idea what my 13 yr old did. When questioned she becomes
defensive and says I didn't do anything. I did get her to admit pressing the
power button while programs were running to crash the computer. So,.....that is
something I guess. I am going to delete SP2 and see if that does anything.
Then reinstall SP2, if things work out there, then I will reinstall AOL
next. To those who suggested going to _http://housecall.trendmicro.com/_
(http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) , thank you, I have run this program several
times now and it seems so much better than Adware or Spybot. I did however,
recently (a few weeks ago) change to Firefox, so that created a problem in that
it only runs off of IE. My IE has some issues that lead me to go to Firefox.
The major one is that somehow when I first got the computer and was setting
it up, I somehow changed the font and background colors. (I know all about
Appearance and themes in the control panel, but the problem is not in there).
The font is like 24 and the background absorbs some of the colors which
result in not seeing anything on some sites. I think I went to the handicapped
accessibility and changed some settings but I cannot get back, hence the
switch to a different browser. Although AOL uses IE settings and I have the
problem when running their Netscape. I do not have the problem running Firefox.
Strange, huh?

Again let me apologize for the off topic post. To the one person who
complained (and that is all, just one), on this post I did list OT at the beginning
this time, but I sure thought my original explanation that it was an XP
question and ignore if you must should have tipped you off that it was an OT
post. Sorry, to offend you, I apologize for my lack of etiquette. To all those
who have offered suggestions, thanks for helping an old man try to understand
technology.

Bob Adamson