Re: [NTLK] Father of the Mac dies

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 12:11:27 PST

> Wow, that is way wrong, he wanted one button but in hindsight he would
> have designed it with two. he left the mac project and apple around 82.

Here's where I found the reference, in Andy Hertzfeld's "Who is the
father of the Macintosh?" entry at folklore.org:

"Jef did not want to incorporate what became the two most definitive
aspects of Macintosh technology - the Motorola 68000 microprocessor and
the mouse pointing device. Jef preferred the 6809, a cheaper but weaker
processor which only had 16 bits of address space and would have been
obsolete in just a year or two, since it couldn't address more than
64Kbytes. He was dead set against the mouse as well, preferring
dedicated meta-keys to do the pointing."

<http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?
project=Macintosh&story=The_Father_of_The_Macintosh.txt&characters=Jef%2
0Raskin&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium>

(I'm not sure when he came around to the idea that the mouse could be
useful.)

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>
"Yesterday's Books for Today's Reader"