Re: [NTLK] NiMH Rechargeable Batteries

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 09:09:14 PST

> Alkalines at rated at 1.5v, but the NiMH batteries range from 1.20v to
> 1.25v. Most vendors are not forthright about the voltage. And while it's
> not a serious problem, the Newton will never say the batteries are 100%
> charged because the voltage level is too low. I still get longer life out
> of the NiMH batteries, but the battery level rides at 60% or lower after a
> fresh charge.

This is normal. The reason is when you use the battery tray it is
lacking the contacts on the bottom to tell the Newton it is a
rechargeable pack (NiMH) so it assumes they are alkalines so adjusts the
battery charge meter accordingly. You can install a package called
Nick's Soft Charge. This allows you to adjust the type of battery you
use, and the battery display will be adjusted accordingly. This package
only works with MP2x00 though.

-Dan