[NTLK] An observation about putting my eMate to work

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 05:32:34 PST

A curious thing...

I'm using my eMate to write MacUser articles. And *really* wishing I
could find a copy of Wordsworth, but that's a different subject.

The slightly small keyboard isn't much of a problem, and the Lucent
silver wireless network card (salvaged from an AirPort base station I
accidentally killed while experimenting) lets me print to our
networked laser printer and transfer copy using the Classroom
Exchange Admin utility on my Mac with just a few taps on keys.

It is also something I feel _reasonably_ comfortable about getting
out and using on the London Underground. It is tougher than any
regular laptop by a country mile, and although it is more quirky and
interesting looking than those laptops it doesn't look anywhere near
as seriously expensive.

The odd thing is that, when I have it on my desk at work and want to
use it, I keep reaching for a mouse! I think that must be because it
is so similar in general appearance to my PowerBook.

An interesting example of learned behaviour - I never realised I was
so trainable!