[NTLK] Battery power woes

From: Matthew Reidsma (mreidsma_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 15:57:07 PDT

Greetings Newtoneers,

I've been having some difficulty of late with my trusty sidekick, my
MP2100 (non-upgraded). It seems that there is a poor connection
somewhere in the battery circuitry on the board, as randomly my Newt
will die and immediately revive itself, claiming that "the battery was
dead." The battery, however, is never dead, since it revives itself
without being plugged into AC power. It also happens regardless of
whether I am using the pack or the AA sled. So, having 10 years of
board level repair under my belt (although dusty from 2 years of grad
school in medieval history), I tore my trusty Newt apart, for about the
6,345th time since we met. It was like coming home.

Anyway, nostalgia aside, I have not succeeded in spotting any cold or
cracked solder joints, and was going to touch up the main connectors to
be safe when I noticed something peculiar on the card-slot side of the
board: T2, the wee little Transformer (marked 06A-4002 DEL9727B) has an
*extremely* loose and wobbly plastic cover (which displays the part
number). While I am unsure what function this transformer plays in the
circuitry, and the cover seems plastic and thus is not likely directly
causing problems, I was a bit concerned about what might cause this to
come so loose. It is possible, of course, that it could have been this
loose for years, and that I never noticed it. Perhaps everyone has a
very loose T2 cover. (That's a good name for a band.) Anyway, I can
move the cover up about 1/8 of an inch (or ~30mm for you metric types).
I can also move it a bit back and forth.

For clarity's sake, here is a photo of the little bugger:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reidsrow/21355241/

Any ideas?

-Matthew Reidsma
Boston, MA U.S.A.