Re: [NTLK] [OT] looking for a Mac guru

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 14:51:56 PDT

>This is a prime indicator that the OSX install discs DID NOT come
>with the machine, which is pretty obvious given that he's running
>9.2. Apple ships machine-specific discs with their new machines, so
>the 10.2 he got was probably from someone else's machine, not a
>retail copy of 10.2 (Jaguar), which is what he needs to do the install.
>
>- Dave

Ed,

The OEM disks that apple ships with machines look at the processor (or
used to). Apple did not sell any g3 Macs when 10.2 was released only g4
and g5 machines. So it will start up, check the processor, see that is
is a g3, and quit. Have them buy a copy of tiger (10.4). Make sure
that they order the CD distro. The default distro is on DVD and I doubt
that the machine you described would have the combo drive, but it may.