Re: [NTLK] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 06:39:19 PDT

On Jun 14, 2005, at 6:11 AM, Alex Santos wrote:

> Apple glorified the PPC, remember all those speed tests? What =
happened?

IBM _didn't_ happen is what happened. IBM seems intent on letting the=20
ball drop. The problem is that processor development is continuous....=20=

it keeps moving forward. If IBM doesn't keep moving, they fall behind.=20=

They fell behind. It's that simple. If IBM had kept moving, there=20
wouldn't have been this need. However, it seems that Apple has actually=20=

gone a step backward with the G5 chip. It seems to be too large, and=20
run too hot to use in laptops, while Intel has created next-gen chips=20
that can. I call that a step backwards. Not that the PPC chip family=20
couldn't do it, but IBM didn't. I'm no techno-savvy person, but I can=20
read handwriting on the wall. ;-)

--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa