[NTLK] Newton Mounted on a Bike?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 04:48:32 PDT

Subject: [NTLK] Newton Mounted on a Bike?
From: Dale Steele <dtsteele () mac ! com>
Date: 2005-07-23 22:56:21

>I haven't been able to use my newtons much recently and it struck me
>that it might be an interesting project to try mounting one on my
>commuter bike and/or motorcycle for occasional use managing travel
>info and such.

Yeah - MPG, SunUpDown, Moon, GPS Map, Ducky's First Aid manual Newt's
Weather, etc. -- all the stuff handy you need on a trip, incl. email +
browser (check weather forecasts, online map servers, etc).

>I'm wondering it anyone out there has experience with
>this and/or some tips.

Didn't somebody here do this on her/his motor cycle?

Also there was a bicyclist named Sandiway Fong who'd toyed in the
Nineties with a Newton on a bicyle (GPS?) and apparently switched to a
tinier eTrex or something: the page used to be here
http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/sandiway/gps.html -- does anybody
have a copy of this? (Archive.org doesn't).

Or else check http://www.u.arizona.edu/~sandiway/bike/index.html and
ask Sandiway to put that page back online again (and pls. post the link
here, so I can add that to the GPS/outdoor Wikipage).

> I can't take on a big project right now but
>can start thinking about it or try some simple experiments. Between
>having moved and not being completely settled in or re-networked yet,
>I find very little time to put my newts through their paces. Perhaps
>a project like this would change that...

Start with small stuff, like toying with GPS and adding other stuff
by-and-by as you see need.

Cheers,

DJV.