Re: [NTLK] storage and heap questions

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 17:38:53 PDT

> 1. Can I install the packages required to use my Wavelan card and the
> associated connectivity packages (wavelan driver, Newton Internet
> Enabler, etc) on a memory card so that they aren't taking up space on
> my Newton's internal RAM store? In this case, I could just pop in the
> flash card when I want to use my Wavelan.

Yes you can do this. I do as well by having NIE and other internet
related apps on a card that I only use for the internet or networking.

> 2. Is there such a thing as an optimal heap size? If so, what is it?
> I bought Dashboard and it's usually around 300K or so, and I'm
> wondering how to make use of this information.

My heap is usually around that, although more toward 400k. If you don't
slow down or experience a lot of freezes/crashes then are you are fine.
  The only time that you are going to be watching your heap is when you
are on the internet (at least in my experience).

-Dan