Re: [NTLK] NCU and NTK on Tiger Classic

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 07:43:07 PDT

Alex

> Could not select an Appletalk connection because a connection error
> has ocurred (-28706).

I'm having exactly the same issue.

I have been using NCU/NTK for years on my WallStreet PB over
AppleTalk, up to and including 9.2.2, and I have copied exactly the
same setp to my new PB G4 with Tiger and I get this error.

X-Port is working bidirectionally from Tiger over AppleTalk and my
LocalTalk bridge to the Newts, so it's not an AppleTalk issue per se.

Seeing the number of people running NCU on Panther, I have a feeling
this is a Tiger issue - Grrrrr.

If anyone has NCU working out of Tiger, could they please post a
listing of their System Folder so we can spot any differences?

There is not much to do in the Classic control panels and all
extensions that are in the System Folder are enabled by default.

Actually, there's a whole bunch of them that could be turned off to
save some RAM:

Control Panels:

Launcher
Speech
USB Printer Sharing (if you don't have USB printers)

Extensions:

Printer Drivers you don't need
FBC Indexing Scheduler
Find by Content
Speakable items
Speech Manager
Speech Recognition
Time Synchroniser

With this lot off, Classic starts up that little bit faster - about
15 seconds on this Mac.

Joel.