Re: [NTLK] DashBoard

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 15:25:07 PST

I've been using Dashboard ever since I saw it running
on a member's Newt via NPDS server looking at a
screenshot!
After I installed it, I have yet to come up with a
reason to uninstall it.
I like that it has a built-in NewtonScript interpreter
that you can mess around with...(I have trouble,
though, writing a simple "hello world <newt?>" script)
I also love the gesture launcher...
Another great feature is the ability to switch between
active applications. This is very difficult to do on a
native Newt, but on a Dashboard enhanced Newt, just
tap the running applications button and select which
ever application you want and it pops to the
fore-ground!.
I personally have not had any problems with
Dashboard...I am running it on a 2100. I find that it
makes the Newt, more...newt-like...ie, more intuitive.
I do have one issue that I find annoying...
When I do a brain wipe, and then restore the newt from
backup, none of the gestures I set up in the launcher
are restored and I have to link them up by hand. The
launcher gestures are still there, but they are no
longer linked to the application or script, that they
launch...and I have several dozen of these...it's a
tedious task, but since I rely on it so much, one
worth the hassle of using Dashboard.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Kostas Theofilis <theofilis_at_macland.gr> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am almost done with setting up my newton again :-)
>
> The only extra GUO enhancer i have installed is a
> backlight button.
>
> But i am looking at dashboard. I have a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1)is it easy to uninstall it, if i decide that i do
> not like it?I mean,
> it doesn't change any soups?
>
> 2)I had heard in this list i think that it is a bit
> buggy, and doesn't
> like some apps..Is it true?
>
> 3)Your opinion?Does it make Newton too
> windows-ish???:D
>
> Thanks
>
> Kostas
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

=====
"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial