Re: [NTLK] Wi-Fi connection to OS9 NCU

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 23:04:14 PST

On Jan 30, 2005, at 10:36 PM, Robert Hollyer wrote:

> That's great, however, I would like to use WEP. Is it
> possible to force the Newton wi-fi driver to use
> WEP-64 instead of WEP-128? If not, then it would
> appear that I either need a WEP-64 PCMCIA card or a
> different wireless hub. Any recommendations.

If you get a wavelan silver it will work. I faced this same situation
exactly.

Actually if you have the airport graphite base it CONTAINS a silver
card.

You can actually open the base and replace the silver card with your
gold card and then use the silver card in your Newton and you will be
able to use 64 bit (40 bit) WEP.

Strange but true.

I don't know why the gold card doesn't work for 40bit WEP on the
Newton, but it was a surprise to me also.

Marty