Re: [NTLK] OS X lite for handheld?

From: Hannes Wolf (TeddyTheBear_at_magnet.at)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 11:54:52 PST

> From: James Nichols <smilr_at_mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] OS X lite for handheld?
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:41:46 -0600
>
> Umm - it looks like the guy has simply installed a vnc client on his
> pocket pc, and is remotely connected to his powerbook. He's not running
> os X on the machine itself. I can do exactly what he is doing (in
> greyscale) with my Newton.

Sure it is only a VNC client and naturally I have been doing this since
years on the Newton and various PalmOS PDAs. BTW: I gave Steve Weyer
the idea to develop VNC for the NewtonOS years ago!

The main and really big difference here is to use a VGA display on the
client. Anything less than VGA is just a drag!
With 640*480 VNC is finally usable. For using it with a MacOSX VNC
server, it also helps a lot to have a (Bluetooth) keyboard for the
keyboards commands and typing, as using the onscreen keyboard is hardly
practical and takes away screen real estate, too.

Another details that helps performance a lot is the WLAN connection on
the PocketPC. I will try it via Bluetooth with UMTS and EDGE, too.

With beary greetings from Austria. Hannes Wolf (CyBear).