Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Einstein Emulator DP3

From: Alexey Danilchenko (a.danilchenko_at_searchspace.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 05:49:54 PST

Excellent work Paul!

> NewtonOS performs TCP/IP via NIE. To add TCP/IP to Einstein emulator,
> I need to either
> - write something looking like NIE to Internet applications or
> - patch NIE/provide a NIE module (like Eckhart's NIE Nitro &
> Blunt support)

Is there any reason why does it have to be so complicated? I mean is it not
simpler to implement ethernet card driver for virtual NE2000 that will relay
all the signals to the host? This is the way BasiliskII does it (as far as I
know).

I was also wondering about graphics. As far as I understand the Einstein is
currently uses X-server (I am not sure whether it's coded in Xlib calls
directly or uses some other library). I understand that cross-platform
support for the emulator is not your primary goal but may be now while it is
still at the beginning is a good time to think of it? I mean would it make
sense to have screen (UI) routines done via something like SDL
(http://www.libsdl.org/) that is a fast and cross platform (supports MacOS,
variety of UNIXes and Windows). The PowerPC architecture emulator uses just
this very technology to achieve cross-platformity (see in more details here
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/)

Anyway - just a suggestions ;-))

Again - excellent work (you've got so far within several month compating to
my pathetic attempts to get a running StrongARM Newton emulator ;-)))

Alexey