Re: [NTLK] memory leak? any suggestions?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 07:55:55 PST

Brad Schurman wrote:
> --- Puckdropper <puckdropper_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>You may have to do a brain wipe to get rid of the
>>problem. That will delete EVERYTHING including what
>>would be leaking memory.
>>
>>Puckdropper
>>

> um brain wipe? is that like "backup, erase and
> restore"?
> If its Works doing it how would I erase works... I
> thot it was in the perm. ROM? And does that mean
> holding the reset button on the back while removing
> the battery or what do you mean 'brain wipe'?
>
> thanks for any clarification...

Yes brain wipe is a total erasure of all software and data (except for
what is in ROM). As for works, in the MP2x00 Works is installed as a
normal package and able to be deleted. In the emate, it is in ROM.

To do a brain wipe: remove all cards, press reset button while holding
down the the power switch. You will then get a box that says "ok to
erase all data" Tap yes and everything will be erased.

Another possibility is to freeze packages. This essentially uninstalls
them but without removing them from memory. Generally you do this by
taping and holding on a icon (while in the extras drawer) and then
taping the routing (envelope) icon and selecting freeze. I would try
freezing all you can then restart (reboot aka press reset button) and
see if the problem goes away. If it does then try thawing (just taping
a frozen icon should thaw it) each package one by one till the problem
returns. When it does you know the guilty package and can either leave
it frozen or delete it.

-Dan