[NTLK] Holidays 2005 needs your help

From: johnc (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 13:17:43 PST

OK, it looks like the hard part of this isn't going to be the
programming. I've munged together a working installer, which, while not
quite ready for public consumption, seems to do a decent job. If there
are any Newton programmers out there with a few cycles to spare for a
budding hack I wouldn't mind a critique.

Now the problem becomes, which holidays to include? I've been going
through iCal calendars and they're worryingly incomplete. The Chinese
one misses out Chinese New Year entirely, All Saint's Sunday falls on a
Monday, no one in Australia can agree on the Queen's birthday, etc.,
etc. So...

I've collected together some pretty safe bets from the region I'm most
familiar with, i.e. Canada and the U.S., which I'll post as soon as I'm
comfortable that my program won't do nasty things. I'll put together
any other set of dates if someone will step forward with a list.
European countries, the antipodes, religious, the 2004-05 NHL season,
whatever. All I need is a date, and some text. Preferred date format is
yyyymmdd.

I'll also post the (meagre) source code so people can create their own.
This will include an entirely un-debugged Perl parser which will mangle
an exported iCal (or Mozilla .ics format) document and make an input
file for the NTK project.

-jc