[NTLK] [ANN] New books: 10 (!) new fiction & non-fiction (Medieval Edition) - plus 2 XMas-SciFi-short stories

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 03:20:54 PST

> From: "Clare Shepherd" <clareshepherd37_at_hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V5 #2
> Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:36:20 -0000
>
> As a new Newtoneer, or whatever, and a bibliophile I just wanted to=20
> thank
> DJV for making the e-books available.

Don't mention it. Cool is what Paul, Eckart, PCBMan and the other=20
hothots and smart brains do, all the way from new software through new=20=

hardware right to new and Newton-exclusive eBooks like the Mayan Math=20
and the knots 'n' stuff books that were recently released.
   I'm just standing in to continue the work of Newtonians of previous=20=

ages, such as Bob Hicks (anybody know what he's doing?) who did=20
uncounted numbers of Newton eBooks back in the Nineties, when Newton=20
Press was still an expensive developer application (now available for=20
FREE at UNNA.org). And don't forget - newtifying etexts ain't exactly=20
rocket science, and it doesn't take much time to make nice books,=20
either. The true labor is in producing the original etexts (digitizing=20=

+ OCR'ing dusty volumes made of dead trees, proof-reading the whole=20
thing, etc.), and here we're all indebted to the heroines and heroes at=20=

Project Gutenberg and other places.

Basically what I'm trying to say: If a complete moron can do, so can=20
you, too! Just install Newton Press or Bookmaker and NTK and join in=20
the effort.

> What riches H.P.Lovecraft, Henry Rider
> Haggard , Conan Doyle historicals and a previously unknown, by me that
> is,Balzac item, all bagged in the last hour or so.

Eh, don't forget the DELICIOUS Robert E. Howard-stuff. Mega-tasty items=20=

there!

> Thanks so much for making
> this available. After bassoon practice, I shall get stuck into the=20
> Balzac,
> or perhaps the Lovecraft, (Mmmm, see what I mean-an embarrassment of=20=

> riches)

Or the splendid Brigardier Gerard-books by Arthur Conan Doyle, or the=20
new and brilliant Doctorow-Shorts (e.g. read Anda's Game and then check=20=

eBay for "Ultima Online Artefacts", etc.), or...

*** THE BRAND NEW AND BLAZING HOT HOT HOT STUFF! ***

This is the Medieval fiction et nonfiction-edition, spanning events=20
from 6th or 7th Cent. AD to the end of the original Order of the=20
Knights of St. John (aka Maltese Knights, aka Hospitallers) in late=20
18th Century, all available NOW from the Temporary Newton Library at =20
http://www.matthewreidsma.com/~ebooks (the old link still works, too --=20=

it's being redirected). If you prefer mighty swords, shining armor and=20=

valiant deeds to blasting lasers and force shields, this batch will=20
serve you quite nicely --

Cohen , R. - Knights of Malta 1523-1798 (Non-Fiction/History)

This elaborate essay covers the story of the Knights of Malta (aka The=20=

Hospitallers, aka Order of St. John, etc.), the other great knight=20
order besides the Templar Knights (the dandy darlings of cooky=20
conspiracy theorists across all ages and continents). Founded - like=20
the Templars - in Jerusalem during the Crusades, they, too, are driven=20=

from Palestine and occupy several islands in the Mediterranean,=20
battling the Saracens (aka "The heathens") by sea. Yes, this is=20
serious knights-vs.-pirates-mayhem, plus epic land battles (Siege of=20
Malta, etc.). The order had chapters all over Europe and only bowed to=20=

the Pope, no one else.
Very interesting compact history of these power players of European=20
politics during late Medieval centuries. BTW, the order is still=20
around, having returned to their original vocation: Abandoning=20
wholesale slaughter in the name of their faith, they're back aiding the=20=

ailing. The Maltese Order (catholic branch) and the Order of St. John=20
(protestant branch) returned in the 19th Century to health care and=20
today operate ambulances services and hospitals in several countries=20
(e.g. the UK and Germany), serving the people and setting shining=20
examples of mercy and compassion, just as they once set the standard in=20=

the most esteemed values of another and quite different age.

Currey, E. Hamilton - Sea-Wolves of the Mediterranean=20
(Non-Fiction/History)

Very extensive documentation of the Muslim pirates of the Mediterranean=20=

during their heyday. Biographies of all the great and cruel (and=20
usually paranoid) corsair leaders from the Barbary Coast, some of=20
which rose from poorest beginnings to fabulous riches -- and became=20
official admirals of the Turkish fleet and defenders of True Faith(TM)=20=

Co.! Features also their arch-enemies, Admiral Andrea Doria of Genoa=20
and the unrelenting, hardfighting Knights of Malta, also defenders True=20=

Faith(TM) Inc. and many other favorites!
Explains the origin of Saracen piracy and how taking to the sea was the=20=

only option left to this people after the loss of the Moorish Kingdoms=20=

in Spain in the 15th Century. Land battles, spectacular sieges, massive=20=

naval battles, in which ten thousands of people perished, all for=20
faith, commerce and domination of spheres of interest (hey, but that's=20=

just *so* like today, innit!). A brilliant and often overlooked=20
historical background to politics and power structures in the=20
Mediterranean during Renaissance.

Haggard, H. Rider - The Brethren (Fiction/Haggard)

Action-packed romance playing during the Crusades: A knight once was=20
captured in Palestine by legendary and generous Saladdin, fell in love=20=

with his sister and escaped with her to his homestead in England, where=20=

they have a daughter. Many years later, Saladdin dreams of his niece=20
saving many lives, which moves him to to bring her back to Palestine,=20
by force, if need be... But he hasn't counted with her two cousins, who=20=

both love her and one of whom is to be married by Saladdin's niece --=20
but which one, if ever?
Featuring the Hashasheen (aka "Assassins" -- a Shi'ite order and mortal=20=

enemies of Sunnite lord Saladdin), the Templars, etc. etc., and plenty=20=

packed action that tests both faith and honour of the heroes and their=20=

beautiful cousin. -- Haggard shows he can write not only brilliant=20
African yarn.

Morris, William - Sigurd the Volsung (Fiction)

The oldest story of the whole batch. This is *THE* defining saga of=20
Middle to North Europe, here in the Icelandic Sigurd version, written=20
in metric verse with some parts excerpted to prose. Don't let the=20
verses scare you off - they's good to read and contain quite a few puns=20=

and humorous bits. This Nordic early version is still dealing with the=20=

old gods, with Odin interfering in the story (what's his agenda anyway,=20=

one wonders), unlike the Christianized and more mystic and supernatural=20=

later Germanic Siegfried tale of the High Medieval Age (of Wagner's=20
operatic fame). A great introduction to Norse thoughts and concepts of=20=

honor and valor.

Whistler, Charles (Fiction)
        1_Havelok the Dane (1899) - A Legend of Old Grimsby and Lincoln
        2_A Prince of Cornwall (1904) - A Story of Glastonbury and the =
West in=20
the Days of Ina of Wessex
        3_A King's Comrade (1904) - A Story of Old Hereford
        4_Wulfric the Weapon Thane - A Story of the Danish Conquest of =
East=20
Anglia
        5_A Thane of Wessex - Being a Story of the Great Viking Raids =
into=20
Somerset
        6_King Alfred's Viking - A Story of the First English Fleet

The order of above titles is mine, I've tried to put Whistler's novels=20=

into a chronological order which I believe will improve the reading=20
experience, as you'll see the nations in England mingle and mix and=20
kingdoms founded and fall. Read 'em all - TO-DAY!

        "Havelok" plays around 580 to 600 AD in Denmark and England, one =
or=20
two generations after mythical King Arthur (and his people's struggle=20
with the Saxons) and shows early relations between the Danes and Saxons=20=

(now well-established in England with their own kingdoms) and the=20
already christianized Welsh in England. Also introduces dislike between=20=

Danes/Jutes (cousins of the Saxons, BTW) and the Norse. Based one of=20
the (until the Elizabethan Age) most popular Medieval sagas of the=20
British Isles that has a lot of look and feel of the classic Nordic=20
sagas like e.g. Sigurd the Volsung.
        "Prince of Cornwall" takes place about a hundred years or four=20=

generations later -- ca. 690-710 AD, and deals much with the relations=20=

between Welsh and Saxons, feat. some resident Danes in the country.
        "King's Comrade" is again three generations later, ca. 790 AD. =
Mainly=20
focused on inter-Saxon conflict (kings Ethelbert and Offa), and=20
problems with the Welsh (who still would like to get their lost estates=20=

back...). Introduces Norse campaigns on the Frankish coast (founding=20
the Norse state of Normandy).
        "Wulfric" shows how the Danes invade the English realm and found=20=

kingdoms, turning from fun-loving plunderers to competitive conquerors.
        "Thane of Wessex" takes place shortly before King Alfred's rule. =
The=20
hero is robbed of land and title through bitter intrigues, and banned=20
from the realm. But as he tries to leave the kingdom, he's followed by=20=

pursuers who are after his live. Soon Whistler adds one or two tasty=20
conflicts of interest, and we've got a man in a mess -- how to do the=20
right thing if you are right-less and without honor in the eyes of your=20=

former peers?
        "King Alfred's Viking" tells more of the Battles between the =
English=20
(united at last) and the Danes, and is the story of the first navy of=20
England, built by Alfred with a little help from Norse friends.

Oh, and I'd forgotten this:

Gibson, William and Mi=E9ville, China - Two Stories for December (2004)=20=

(Fiction/Fantastic Literature/Scifi)

The Gibson-short story is very short, but shows what can happen if a=20
man has too many enemies... Talk about collateral damage to the world,=20=

eh.
Miss Mi=E9ville's story is a true gem, shining brilliant and working out=20=

great. A real must-read. Folks, this is what privatization and=20
globalization will lead to if we don't show some basic reason pretty=20
soon. (...and if you think her basic assumption in that story is=20
absurd, then remember that "Happy Birthday to you", composed and texted=20=

in 19th century, is *still* under copyright and makes the cash=20
registers ring whenever this song is publicly performed or played by a=20=

singing greeting card's chip, etc., so there...)

DJ Vollkasko greets you. And respectfully awaits your contribution to=20
the collective Newton bookshelves.

P.S.: Pls. note that these new titles appear courtesy of the kind host=20=

of mine, Matthew "Got more gigs sumwhere" Reidsma. Big applause for the=20=

guy, folks!

P.P.S.: If you have books to upload, send me (or Matthew Kowalczyk, who=20=

also has upload access) a zip archive containing (a) the packages=20
(preferably one for every Newton format), (b) an About.txt document=20
giving some outline of what the book is about, and (c) the original=20
text source (if available, e.g. Project Gutenberg eTexts). I'll be=20
happy to up it to the Temporary Newton Library whenever my next batch=20
goes up. Name the archive pls. like this "Lastname, Firstname (Dates) -=20=

Title (Publishing Date).zip", where (Dates) are optional birthdates --=20=

e.g. like (1850-1900) -- and (Publishing Date) is, ahem, the date the=20
title was originally published, e.g. (1925), and also optional (but=20
much appreciated). Thank you!

  The Original DJ Vollkasko's(TM) Newton eBook Editions

  *** Get it at http://www.matthewreidsma.com/~ebooks or from a=20
http://www.UNNA.org near you! ***

Note: Titles marked "New" not available at UNNA yet.

Adorno, Theodor W. - On Popular Music (1941)

New! Balzac, Honor=E9 de, and Amphiteatrof, Alexander - Folk-Tales of=20
Napoleon (1902)

New! Blackbird, Andrew J - History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians=20
of Michigan (1887)

Burroughs, Edgar Rice (1875-1950)
        John Carter on Mars-Series
NEW! 7 - A fighting Man of Mars (1930)
NEW! 8 - Swords of Mars (1934).zip

NEW! Carlsson, Chris -- After The Deluge (2004)

New! Cooper, Michael D. - Starman 2 - The Runaway Asteroid (2004)

New! Darrow, Clarence - Crime, Its Cause and Treatment (1922)

Debord, Guy - Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography (1955),=20
English/German (Situationiste International)

NEW! Doctorow, Cory -- 4 Short Stories 2002-04

Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan
                  Adventures of Etienne (1903) (Napoleonic Tales of =
Etienne Gerard)
                Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (...more Napoleonic Tales =
of Etienne=20
Gerard)
New! The Great Shadow and Other Napoleonic Tales
                  The Final Problem (S. Holmes feat. Moriarty)
                  The Valley of Fear (S. Holmes, Moriarty mentioned)
                When the World Screamed (1929) (feat. Prof.Challenger)

Dunsany, Lord
          51 Tales (1915)
          Book of Wonders
        The Emperor's Crystal

New! Gratacap, L.P. - The Certainty of a Future Life in Mars (1903)

NEW! Grisewood, R. Norman -- Zarlah the Martian (1909)

Haggard, Henry Rider (1856-1925)
        Allen Quatermain-Stories
                Zulu-Trilogy
NEW! 1. Marie
NEW! 2. Child of Storm
NEW! 3. Finished
                A Tale of Three Lions

Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936)
        Rogues in the House (Conan the Cimmerian goes Newton!)
        Shadows in Zamboula (1935, Conan again)
        The Devil in Iron (1934, Conan yet again)
        The Tower of Elephant (...and still more Conan!)

NEW! Howell, Greg -- The Human Memoirs (1996)

Knigge, Adolph Freiherr von - =DCber den Umgang mit Menschen (1788)

Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937)
                Herbert West, Reanimator (1921-1922)
                Pickman's Model (1926)
                The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
                The Cats of Ulthar (1920)
NEW! The Temple (1920)
                The Picture in the House (1919)

New! Mackey, Albert G. - The Principles of Masonic Law (1856)

NEW! Munro, John -- A Trip to Venus (1897)

Rockwood, Roy
        Great Marvel Series
NEW! 4 - THROUGH SPACE TO MARS, Or the Longest Journey on Record
NEW! 5 - Lost on the Moon

NEW! Rosenbaum, Benjamin - Embracing-the-New (2004)

NEW! Serviss, Garrett P. - A Columbus of Space

New! Tietjens, Eunice - Profiles from China (1917)

NEW! Urides, Eros -- Planet Mars and Its Inhabitants, a psychic=20
revelation

Vague, Tom - Boy Scout's Guide to the Situationist International: The=20
Effect The S.I. Had On Paris '68 And All That, Through The Angry=20
Brigade And King Mob To The Sex Pistols

New! Wallace, Alfred Russel - Is Mars habitable? (1907)

Whibley, Charles - A Book of Scoundrels (Highway men and other=20
criminals of classic Britain)

Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Gray

New! Yarrow, H.C. - Mortuary Customs of the North American Indians

*** "Don't ask what your Newton can do for you - ask what you can do=20
for your Newton!" - J.F. Newtennedy ***=