Re: [NTLK] lament for a dying eMate

From: Irfon-Kim Ahmad (irfon_at_ambienautica.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 20:09:09 PST

On 8-Jan-05, at 8:27 PM, Thomas Sluyter <tsluyter_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Thanks for the offer Clayton. Right now my eMate's battery seems to be
> somewhat fine again (a couple of charge-discharge cycles seem to have
> fixed it a bit), but I may take you up for that offer at a later point
> in time :)

For the record, I'm *VERY* non-hardware-technical and not very adept
with a soldering iron at all, and I found installing a battery tray to
be trivially easy (much easier than the instructions I'd read for
making a new battery pack seemed). It did involve cutting a little bit
of the eMate plastics to get the tray to fit properly, but it was
really dead simple, and now I can not only use straight NiMH AA
batteries, and replace them trivially, but if I run dry in the middle
of nowhere I can toss a set of alkalines from the corner store in.