Re: [NTLK] PDA recommendations?

From: Richard Kilpatrick (dmc12_at_btconnect.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 16:27:34 PST

On 6 Jan 2005, at 19:44, Goodwin, Greg wrote:

> You know, one of those Palm/Cell phones with memory stick would
> be the best on the go in my book.
>
> Would get one, but I have a Newton. ;)

3 weeks with my Clie UX50 and I'm convinced that it is pretty much the=20=

ideal 'modern' PDA - cellphone would be nice, but they're very=20
expensive to use outside your home country. It has WiFi, Bluetooth,=20
keyboard, 320 x 480 colour screen which flips to make a mini laptop=20
(looks like a baby PowerBook) or tablet, MemoryStick Pro (1Gb=20
available) and is generally very nice and intuitive. Best Palm powered=20=

device I have ever used. No need for Missing Sync (just download Palm=20
desktop for Mac - you need a Palm device's serial number, for which=20
Google is most useful) for most things; I have had to use a PC to=20
convert AVI/MPG files for the video player (I have MST3K episodes on it=20=

now; very watchable too!). Low-res camera came in very handy for=20
photoblogging via hBlogger - find access points like FutureShop's=20
frequent open network (beware blocked FTP ports though) and write long,=20=

picture-rich entries for LiveJournal or whatever. Mine was=20
"clieux50pics*.

Missing over Newton - still feels sluggish, but the media capability=20
blows Newton away - it has 104Mb in total, though that is very=20
restricted in use it still makes it one of the best equipped Palm=20
devices. Web browsing needs a hacked NetFront 3.1 install (actually,=20
it's not hard to do, but must be done right) to support Hotmail and the=20=

like, but is very well designed to work with the small screen. Not 100%=20=

Palm compatible because of the landscape format screen. Battery life is=20=

bad when using many services; extended batteries were $119 but are now=20=

$229 with Amazon and eBay scalpers - they are $899 HKD in Hong Kong,=20
where the Clie is still supported - that translates to =A360 and if any=20=

Hong Kong people can help me obtain one for a reasonable price I would=20=

be delighted.

PalmVNC, in 320 x 480, controlling the Mac, in colour, has to be seen.=20=

Very quick on the UX50.

And of course, it is tiny. Fits in any pocket; I also bought the=20
cheapest leather case on eBay and discovered that as well as being=20
literally a billfold that snaps onto the charge cradle clip points -=20
something I initially thought would be a real PITA - it also had a mini=20=

USB socket, allowing you to plug in to any USB port to recharge without=20=

removing the Clie from the case. As such, I carried it around Canada=20
for 3 weeks in my jacket pocket, always had it on hand, and the only=20
hassle was the MemoryStick occasionally being popped out. USB synching=20=

is a pain because of the tiny, cramped USB port on the actual unit,=20
plus it doesn't charge via the built in USB. Since I use Bluetooth for=20=

as much as I can, this has not been an issue - music and video are best=20=

moved with a card reader anyway. Moving data via Hotsync is as=20
painfully slow as it is with any Palm, Bluetooth or not.

Being magnesium alloy, like the Mac powerbook and 'real' Vaio laptops,=20=

it's pretty tough - and has a lanyard loop on the main chassis that I=20
swear you could tow a car with if you could find a strong enough rope=20
that fit.

Sure, the 4Gb Zaurus would probably appeal to me greatly, but the Sony=20=

UX50 was sold in the US for a while and 'factory refurb' models litter=20=

eBay. They are a bit pricey however, and of course, not brand new so=20
there may be variation in the quality you get. Generally, though, the=20
UX50 is the PDA I always wanted, and I'd only be jonesing for more if=20
something 'the same but better' existed - unlikely since Sony are=20
slowly dropping the Clie range (at least in Western markets) and no-one=20=

else produced the same nifty laptop format.

Avoid the UX40 - it lacks wireless and it cannot be added later. An=20
NZ90 with wireless card is probably the equal, or even better (user=20
changeable battery back, 2Mp camera, 200MHz CPU but not the HandHeld=20
engine with media co-processors, and of course it's black), but I was=20
less keen on that model because the WiFi card was an extra.

Richard, apologising for such blatant pro-Palm advocacy, but genuinely=20=

impressed by the Clie UX50 - I did keep my Newton 110, but I don't=20
regret selling my collection of others to get the Clie.

--=20
Tasty Other - Because Far Too Much in Life Makes Sense
Music for download - coming soon (RIP MP3.com)
G.A.S. http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/music/
Platform: PowerMac G5 2.0GHz Dual, 20" LCD, Logic, Hammerfall.