Re: [NTLK] Newton sound note to Mac

From: David Neale (david.neale_at_pandora.be)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 07:48:55 PST

After some initial problems with BinHexer, I've got the basics working!

After installation of BinHexer and Translator, the pair failed to work,
merely reporting something to the effect that a suitable translator was
unavailable. I reste the MP2100, tried again, and was then able to use
BinHexer to convert an audio note into a .hqx note, which appears
automatically in Works (Works acts as a sort of intermediary in the
process).

This note was then emailed to my Mac. Using the LunaSuite mailer causes
the note to be sent as a Mime attachment and so is unsuitable. Eudora
Pro sends the note as the text of the email message, so that's received
fine and can be used in the next sequence.

I cut the body of the email message and pasted it into a new plain text
TextEdit document, then saving it with the .hqx extension (not
necessary, of course). I passed the resulting document to Stuffit
Expander (8.0.2 in my case) and this quickly produced a file with name
Test.au.gsm" -- Test from the name of the Newton document, "au"
presumably for audio, and gsm for heaven only knows what! Anyway, this
file can be played straight from the Finder, or theough QuickTime;
iTunes doesn't accept it, so it might need converting for some uses.
Sonium ignores it for conversion, Audacity does not recognise it, but
Amadeus can be used for conversion.

My idea is now to record a Chinese person (away from home) speaking
some simple phrases into the MP2100; this person will then also sketch
the corresponding Chinese script pictograms. Back at home, pictograms
and sound will be transferred to the Mac, where they will be used to
build a SuperCard project to help learn some very basic Chinese,
showing written pictograms, printed pictograms and allowing the phrases
to be heard. Not spectacular, but interesting.

David