Re: [NTLK] Help for new eMate User - Confused!

From: Woody Smith (woodysmith_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 15:44:42 PST

Welcome to NewtonTalk

Without Classic installed and without a serial port on the iBook your
choices are pretty limited. Newtons are not able to connect to a
desktop computer unless it is running one of the connection
applications. For X that would be NewTen which requires a serial
connection or Escale which can use serial or ethernet, either of these
are able to install packages. In classic you can use Newton Connection
Utilities which can use serial or Apple Talk over an ethernet network.
With one of these packages running on your Mac, press the Dock button
and you should get a connection. If you are using ethernet it seems to
work best if both are connected to a hub or switcher.
If the ethernet card is recognized by the Newt when you plug it in you
likely have the correct drivers installed.
On the PC you cannot use ethernet but you can connect to NCU via serial
though you may need to run a slowdown application.

For internet run one of the internet browsers, Courier is best if you
don't have the memory expansion card installed. launch the browser,
and find the button "." then enter the address and see what happens.

For a mail client you will want Simple Mail V I think for IMAP.

Be sure to fix your hinge springs!!!

Look at wikiwikinewt connection at the bottom of this email

To copy Works files you need NCU

What internet or mail packages are installed on the eMate?

Woody