[NTLK] We now have BLUE backlights for the group-buy!!!

From: Calvin Grier (cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 10:57:40 PST

Newtontalkers,
The group-buy backlight order is almost ready to be placed. While we are working out the details I wanted to let you know about a significant bit of infomation:

We can now include BLUE backlights in the production order (ie. the lot of backlights can be mixed between the improved GREEN EL backlights and a less bright BLUE backlight). They'll cost the same as the others ($25USD + shipping) but will really make your Newton stand out in a crowd. This backlight will require minor soldering (just like the green) in order to replace an existing backlight.

The BLUE panel brightness (measured in cd/m^2) is going to be about half of the new improved GREEN, but it will still light-up your Newton in a dark room. Please note that small variations (<25%) in brightness are difficult to quantify with the human eye (although instruments can detect changes with relative ease.)

Once we have the payments in-hand, an order will be placed with our production house, and they'll deliver product in bulk in 20-25 business days. Distribution of the actual backlights to the individuals will follow, once they are shipped and delivered to the three geographic coordinators.

Please reply to me or to Norman Palardy off-list if you are interested in placing an order for a BLUE backlight.