Re: [NTLK] Adapting a new keyboard to the Newton?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 06:46:57 PST

Mark Jozaitis wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I just got thinking that since the Newton uses IRDA to
> connect things like a printer. Can the ACER AirKey
> work with a Newton since it has IRDA (It was intended
> to work with the Mac Wirelessly). Is there a mod out
> there for doing such a thing? Here is some images
> http://www.macsruscomputers.com/airkey1.jpg and here
> http://www.macsruscomputers.com/airkey2.jpg . I was
> thinking that it might be possible to do that, since
> it would be great to have a wireless keyboard for the
> Newton.

Well... infrared != IrDA. Your TV remote is infrared but you can't just point
it at your PC's IR port and expect something to happen.

More likely than not, that keyboard uses a TV-remote type of protocol to talk
to its dongle, which then connects to a Mac via ADB.

The Newton cannot receive TV-IR style signals (it filters them out so they
don't interfere with IrDA comms) so I don't think this is going to work.