Re: [NTLK] [Q] Ebook reader probs

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 00:18:15 PST

> From: "Clare Shepherd" <clareshepherd37_at_hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V5 #92 Ebook reader problems
> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:30:07 -0000
>
> Could you clarify for a newbie what rebuilding the book means. Thanks

Dear Clare, see Digital D's explanation at
http://marc.10east.com/?l=newtontalk&m=110894086519012&w=2ell,
actually there's two things...

Rebuilding the book package -- i.e.
        1. Open Newton Press
        2. Load previously created Newton Press document; edit at wil (see his
pointers)
        3. Create Newton ebook

Here you work with something you already have, make only minor
adjustments, and create a fresh .pkg from the .np!-file you already
have created when you made the book the first time around.

Rebuilding the Newton Press file -- i.e. "Wot - doing the whole thing
again!?":
        1. Get raw text from somewhere (see
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/EtextSources for pointers)
        2. Preprocess text in text editor, save as .rtf; steps here typically
include fixin breaks (for ALL Gutenberg-texts, I do this Woody-style
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MakeNewtonEbooks), I enter
page breaks before new chapters start and give the chapter titles some
formatting (centered + bold). Then I save the whole file and...
        3. Upload into Newton Press (File/Add). The nice thing doing it this
way is that you can format and edit texts faster in an text editor, and
Newton Press will convert many of the formatted things into its own
format.
        4. Add new headers, edit document title.
        5. Save .np!-file, you might need it at some later time again (e.g. to
fix problems if your books doesn't work...)
        6. Create Newton ebook. Note that in Preferences you can choose many
formats (sizes) for all Newton Platforms. It is nice to make several
formats of one book so readers can pick their favorite one... (MP2000
Portrait, Emate Landscape and Classic are probably the three most
important formats).
        7. Upload Newton book to UNNA, or mail it to me, so I can include it
in the Temporary Newton Library.

-- and wasn't I afraid he'd just meant that!? Okay, making a book can
be pretty speedy once you get the knack of it (esp. with Woody's
lo-tech line-break declawing tip), but going through the whole thing
again? Sure didn't feel like it (lazy boy, datz why).

That answer any questions? Feel free to ask, and please put anything
you learn newly up at the Wiki like I'm trying, so the next time
somebody asks, you can drop a link to help them w/o having to type
through everything like twice a month... ;=}

DJV.

P.S.: Clare, may I ask a favor of you? When replying to a post, your
posts list with subjects like "Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V5 #92
Ebook reader problems". Could you pls. strip away the "newtontalk
Digest V5 #92"-part and just use the subject used by the previous
poster? I'm reading this list through MARC, because it to nicely shows
the discussion threads (guess I like a forum better than a mailing
list), and your posts' subjects often break the thread-analogy by
creating a new thread. No offence meant, but I figgered while I'm
typing, I might as well ask this small boon. It's no biggie, it would
just improve my personal comfort and well-being. ;=}