Re: [NTLK] Newton packages versus OS X packages

From: David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 16:45:45 PST

On Feb 20, 2005, at 6:13 PM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann wrote:

> No, forked files have nothing to do with type and creator codes (a=20
> common
> misconception). There's the data fork, the resource fork, and then
> there's meta data such as type and creator codes. You can have=20
> non-forked
> files and still maintain type and creator codes, or have forked files=20=

> and
> rely just on extensions.

What you said is true but misleading itself. Resource forks do not=20
*have* to have things like type and creator codes in them, but=20
traditionally they seem to be kept there. I could be misspeaking, but=20
if I am, then its very strange that a file which loses its resource=20
fork *typically* can't be correctly identified ...

> And Newton package files on the Mac have no resource fork.

That was what I was actually asking.

>> The issue is that since Macintosh and Mac OS X are the only operating
>> systems that support forked files, non-Mac OS X UNIX/Linux systems,
>> Windows systems, etc ... all just ignore the resource fork and during=20=

>> file transfer the resource fork is not copied.
>
> So what? There's nothing in the resource fork to begin with, so=20
> nothing's
> lost.

Oh? Try copying Photoshop 6 via FTP from one volume to another and then=20=

see if it will open ... or try to do that to a Classic Macintosh=20
installer file, or many other things.

David=