Re: [NTLK] Can't send email?

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 00:24:43 PST

On 20-feb-05, at 1:53, melissa mintel wrote:
> I connected successfully via WiFi at the Atlanta Apple Store, and to
> the great
> amazement of everyone here downloaded my email.

Cool, kep the Newton alive! ;-)

> However, I wrote a note in NotePad, sent it to the Outbox, and tried
> to email it using SimpleMail--I think--but I keep getting the error
> 48204, which Victor has explained thus:
>
> The -48204 is a fairly common error that can happen whenenver there is
> an invalid data reference or external function call that fails. This
> is usually because there is a missing package or soup that is being
> referenced.
>
> So what am I missing, or what am I doing wrong?

Maybe you're missing a NIE package (just reinstall) or SMTP settings
(can be found/added in your Owner Info)

If your mail works fine at home than SMTP is likely the culprit, my
guess is that you didn't have the settings they were using at the Apple
Store, most servers don't mind you picking up mail over their servers
but block SMTP access to other servers.

Robert Benschop