Re: [NTLK] wireless access problem

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 22:27:44 PST

On Feb 19, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:

> * Thomas A Isenbarger <isen_at_tds.net> [18 Feb 2005 06:31]:
>> I connect via DHCP from my laptops at home (at least this is how I
>> have
>> their prefs set, so I'd think that is what is actually happening).
>> Last night I played with this some more: I tried getting my
>> SimpleMail
>> mail and I got the error stating that DHCP could not configure my
>> device. After dismissing the slip, I immediately clicked on Receive
>> SimpleMail again and it worked. No other taps made, no settings
>> changes, etc.
>
> I get similar behaviour when I try to print to my appletalk network
> printer. I try to print, the ethernet card light goes out, I get a
> timeout error. I try again, it works. Oddly enough, it connects first
> try to NCU over the same ethernet card.
>
> I think I had the same issue with getting DHCP when I was testing out
> my
> internet setup - it would only work on the second try, not the first.

Both of these descriptions could also be related to the "needs a hub"
theory of Newton connections. Perhaps the first connection attempt is
triggering the connection state, and the second one can then go
ahead... This could be some sort of timing bug aboo... What type of
router/network setups are you all dealing with?

I have a 3com card and a Lucent gold/silver and have never needed to
try twice to get either appletalk or TCP/IP to go... Just lucky?
doubtful.

Marty