Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Help - I'm about to toss this 2000 through the window

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 15:50:03 PST

On Feb 18, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Robbie Johnstone wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Still no luck. I follow James' directions below and:
>
> 1. The newt says 'Loading the DHCP protocol' and eventually goes back
> to the IP Address pane - where I have 'connect via TCP/IP' selected and
> an IP address entered that flashes up on the network preference control
> panel of the G5 when the Newt tries to connect.
> 2. NewtSync on the G5 just reports 'Listening to all addresses'.
Do you actually have a wireless router that is a DHCP server? If not,
that would be a problem...

If you only want to hook to you mac, and have no router, you can
create a manually configured internet setup, which will work...

> Some other settings elsewhere may be wrong...should file sharing be on?
> It's not at the moment?
Doesn't matter. Sometimes, certain connections don't work unless there
is a hub or switch between the Newton and the Mac. This has been a
problem for lots of people and is very annoying.

If you have a hub or switch laying around, try using it between the
Newt and Mac.
> What's the correct setting for IPv4 on the Network control panel?
> Firewall appears to be off...
Is you mac already setup? You need to give it an IP address of it's
own if it doesn't have one...
Marty