Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V5 #88

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 10:06:52 PST

On Feb 18, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Clare Shepherd wrote:

> Marty,
> good idea. I do have one of those modeller's irons that is used for
> white
> metal kit assembly. Looks like a pen with fine long tip. Would that be
> ok or
> would I need a soldering for electronics ?
Not really recommended, unless you are quick about it and it has a
small enough tip... You can make due with such tools if need be, but
they increase the chances of a smoking something.
> The idea of playing with old kit
> is good. Shall I try with an old Palm ?(faint evil chuckle heard in
> background.)
I have often used very el cheapo pencil type irons such as the crap
radio shack sells, but practice with the tool you intend to use, until
you can minimize your contact (and the heat) and still get a nice
joint.

Good Luck,
marty