Re: [NTLK] OT: creating first simple OS X app?

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 06:30:35 PST

On Feb 18, 2005, at 8:53 AM, Thomas A Isenbarger wrote:
> Newtlisters:
>
> I want to try my hand at writing a small OS X application. I don't
> know any C, but I have used perl quite a bit and have a good
> understanding of programming, etc. (since my years of AppleBasic on the
> ][ series!)
>
> I imagine I will build the interface in Xcode interface builder, but
> what options are available for coding? what would you folks recommend
> as a quick entry into the writing OS X apps? Applescript?

I also program in Perl, and found that AppleScript interfaces to it
quite easily - one of the ways is just to put a "do shell script"
command in an AppleScript script file, and it will run your Perl
program, and return results. I didn't have any OSX programming
experience, and no Objective-C, so I just dove right into
Xcode/AppleScript Studio, and created a front end and wrote some
AppleScript.

Another option, even easier, and also free is to use something like
Platypus, which you can find here: http://sveinbjorn.vefsyn.is/software
Platypus puts an OSX GUI wrapper around your script (Perl, whatever).

Enjoy,
Dave