Re: [NTLK] Newton packages versus OS X packages

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 06:55:05 PST

I don't know any way of preventing mac os X from occasionally becoming
confused and trying to open newton packages with the installer, but one
can use the Packager program (in the same unna directory linked below)
in os X to do the same job that PackType does in os 9.

I assume you are downloading the file with Safari? In Safari's
prefereneces - under General, is a checkbox called "Open 'safe' files
after downloading". This feature is the only thing I can think of that
would be auto-launching your packages once you download them, but I
can't remember it doing so in the past (I've had it turned off since
safari beta, so I don't know if Apple changed it's behavior since
then). Try turning this feature off and see if that keeps Installer
from launching on download. If you are using a different browser, I'd
look for a similar option in it's preferences somewhere.

Be warned that Packager is kind of a funny app - people have reported
that it will sometimes crash right after you drop your packages onto
it, but it crashes AFTER having fixed their types. YMMV

J Tyler Nichols