Re: [NTLK] problem

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 11:03:31 PST

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:37:32PM -0500, Adamson_at_aol.com wrote:
> Ok, excuse me as I have just rejoined this list. Who is this person?

Stay joined, and you'll find out in short order. The topic comes up at
least monthly.

> What is his/her eBay name? Please help those of us in the community
> who do not know this person. Next, one of the reasons I came back
> to the Newton was the community of people who still believe in the
> platform. Why don't we all band together and present a united front
> to eBay?

Ebay cares about getting their feed paid and avoiding lawsuits. That's
about it. In fairness, that's probably all they SHOULD care about.

> I am sure they will listen to scores of people all with the same
> complaint. I am even more sure, that they will take action against
> this person for violating at least the spirit of eBay if not the
> letter of the selling agreement. Yes, buyer beware prevails, but
> tacking on charges that are not identified upfront in an auction
> smacks of fraud and eBay will go to all lengths to avoid that charge.

No, they're not responsible for the seller's actions. They've got
several paths for resolving disputes, though they're of varying levels
of usefulness.

> So, now that we have someone acting as the point for the backlights,
> you won the auction it is up to you to take it from here. Count me in
> to email or call eBay with a complaint. Anyone else care to join the
> battle?

No one but the bidder has any legitimate interest in this particular
transaction. That's the only person that should be in this "battle". And
it's a battle insofar as dealing with the inevitable namecalling the
seller will dish out in feedback, and explaining in a recap that the
seller added $xx of charges not listed in the auction description, and
therefore the auction terms were not as represented. Some people will
read that, some won't. You deal with it, and move on.

--
75. I will instruct my Legions of Terror to attack the hero en masse, instead
    of standing around waiting while members break off and attack one or two