Re: [NTLK] eMate chips

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 18:16:19 PST

Thanks Frank your help is always appreciated.

Frank Gruendel wrote:

>D10 (M705) is a diode that seems to have been manufactured by Motorola.

Is there any descriptive information on what these are or do. I can
find diodes on mouser but do not know what these do. I suspect they are
Voltage Suppression Diodes but this is just an uneducated guess.

>C109 ("the big yellow one") is a 100 microFarad 10 Volt electrolytic
>capacitor that you should be able to get in every Radio Shack store.

I have found this on mouser.com part#140-HTRL10V100. FYI if you have
not been in a radio shack recently they have turned into cell phone
stores that also sell batteries and remote control vehicles for some
variety. If you were to go in and ask about an electrolytic capacitor
they would not know what you were talking about.

>If you have problems getting these parts, let me know. I could unsolder
>them from one of my flaky eMate boards and send them your way for a donation
>to NewtonTalk or the Worldwide Newton association.

Thanks for the offer but I am trying to keep this one from the landfill
and I would feel worse if I knew that someone was taking perfectly good
chips from a viable board.

>Be aware, though, that eMates aren't that expensive anymore these
>days. The question is whether what you are planning is worth the effort.

inexpensive is a relative term. when my total monthly fun money is $15.