Re: [NTLK] GPS Mouse Antennas for Newton (was: Hiking Newton)

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 10:29:45 PST

The problem will be in having the newton report back it's position -
the options are pretty much WIFI, public radio spectrum (HAM / FR
bands), or cell-phone gprs links. Any of these are doable - the
questions are Range, and how much stuff gets tacked onto the newton to
make it all work. Wifi would be lightest - but probably the most power
hungry on the newton, also shortest range. A bluetooth card and a cell
phone would probably be the next lightest, and most power efficient
overall - but requires multiple cell phones to have service in the
area, and you'd probably be paying for the online connection time.

Public radio bands might be the bulkiest - but would give good range
without having to rely on the cell signal and payment plan. Might I
suggest mimicking the radio communication setup from this:
http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/balloon/ project?

As for a PCMCIA GPS card - I don't have any suggestions myself, Happy
Hunting!
J Tyler Nichols