Re: [NTLK] Car Adapter for Newtons

From: ViKim (vkim777_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 03:42:14 PST

Maybe someone could indicate the exact specs for the car adapter -
( pins , voltage, pinout of connectors ) -
It=B4d be relatively easy to design a circuit from those infos.

And we might expand the idea and take benefit form other web projects
and build an universal power supply for Newton ,
using small solar cells, (old) cell phone battery,=20
oak tree electricity (just kidding :-)

Regards

Vik'm

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:28:10 +0000, Joel M. Sciamma
<joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk> wrote:
> Sonny,
>=20
> > Has anyone heard of a Car adapter for the Newton line?
>=20
> Apple did make a car adaptor for the Newt, I have one here and it looks
> nicely made for this kind of device with a car-type 3A fuse, sprung centr=
> pin and solid construction.
>=20
> Opening it I see that they used the popular LM317 adjustable regulator ch=
ip
> in its basic circuit configuration.
> <http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM317.html>
>=20
> I just tested it on the bench and it delivers a no-load output voltage of
> 6.99V for inputs of 9V to 15V (car batteries are normally charged at 14.5=
V)
>=20
> With a 400mA load the output drops to 6.75V
>=20
> So an adaptor with similar characteristics should be fine.
>=20
> The prices you have been given seem very high for such a simple device.
>=20
> Joel.
>=20
> --