Re: [NTLK] Newton Controls Mac Mini on Engadget

From: Brian Clark (bmc205_at_psu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 21:27:32 PST

> Brian-
> I will be getting a MP 2100 soon, and this kind of trick is EXACTLY
> what i need to show off to my IT guy here at work...
>
> Can you please share with a newbie what i need and need to do in order
> to make this work?
>
> thanks
>
> Kevin Ondre

I would be glad to share....

The whole setup uses VNC(Virtual Network Computing) which is a platform
independent, free, open source protocol. You can find server and
viewer program for just about any platform. Basically, you only need
two things do this with your Newton:

1) A VNC server program on the machine you want to control
        - If you are using OS X, there is really only one option: OSXVNC from
Redstone software. You can download it here:
          http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html
        - You can also download the OS 9 version of the same program on that
page. If you are using Windows, or for any other OS, go here to
find the appropriate download site:
          http://redstonesoftware.com/support.html#VNC
2) A VNC viewer program on the machine(in this case your Newton) that
you want to view and control the server machine.
        - A guy by them name of Steve Weyer decided to write, basically from
scratch, a program for the Newton called NewtVNC. His website
for this program is located here:
          http://home.comcast.net/%7Esaweyer/newton/vnc.htm
          You will find very good info on that page on how to install and use
the program.
        - If you need a viewer program for something besides the Newton, here
are a couple:
                OS X: Chicken of the VNC http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/
                Windows: Real VNC http://www.realvnc.com

I think that it goes without saying that your Newton needs to be able
to access your network either wirelessly or wired. Setup isn't too
difficult, but if you run into trouble, let me know. Of course, all
this software is free, but if you end up using it I would seriously
consider making donations to the appropriate developer. Have fun!

Cheers,
Brian Clark